Monday, March 7, 2011

Creamy Tomato and Salami Fettuccini

It has been a while between posts.  The weekend before last, I was in Sydney seeing the Boy from Aus, and last weekend, I spent celebrating my birthday.

Last night though, I decided to cook dinner for my friends.  I liked the sound of the Creamy Tomato and Salami Fettuccini, so decided to give that a go.  I also decided to make chocolate custard again for dessert, as it was so nice last time.

I learned from my last cooking lesson that it was important to get out all the ingredients, so I measured everything and put it into dishes.

The EDC was vague about how much I should chop up the vegies for the fettuccini sauce, so I diced some and julienned others.  This was probably a bit of overkill, as the TM chopped them anyway.  I'll chop them less next time and see what happens.

I had an initial panic, as I discovered that I had run out of olive oil (another advantage of laying out the ingredients first).  Then I remembered that I had some butter in the fridge, so decided to use that.  Conveniently, I had 50 g , which was just what I needed.  I buy my butter in packets of 100 g blocks, and I have a real thing about anyone breaking my blocks.  E was teasing me the other day when we were making the cupcakes, as she had to break into one of my 100 g blocks.  It's a good thing she did!  Some day, I'lll make my own butter.

I've decided to convert recipes as I go from weights to measures.  In doing this, I discovered that 100 g of zuccini is about half a zuccini, and that 200 g of cream is the same as 200 ml, which is very convenient.  When weighing out the ingredients for the custard, I discovered that 70 g of sugar is about 4 metric tablespoons, 40 g of flour is 3 tablespoons and 20 g of cocoa is 2 heaped tablespoons.

Everything went smoothly.  I just quietly followed the recipe step by step and it worked!  weighing the fettuccini was interesting though, as it kept rolling off the scales!  Then I had the bright idea of breaking it in half and putting it in the TM basket - much easier.

The fettuccini was absolutely delicious!  The custard was even nicer than the last lot, as I used sugar this time.  My friends were really impressed.  One commented how I would have never thought of doing this a couple of months ago, and mentioned how happy and in control I seemed.  It was true.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Amanda. I met you at the cooking demonstration held by E in February. You are absolutely amazing. I am inspired by you to make the Creamy Tomato and Salami Fettucine this week. Glad you are still cooking, and your Mum and Dad are still enjoying the food your and your Thermomix are making. Good luck and thanks for such an inspirational blog

    ReplyDelete